Yes, as I told you all, I have another Italian recipe for you this week. Sorry for the Italian over-kill, but it’s what I was cravin’, so it’s what I was makin’. Anyone else feel like they were in the mood for Italian in particular this week? No these aren’t crazy cravings like I am pregnant, they are just cravings. Don’t get any ideas! Although Vikram and I are coming up on our first wedding anniversary on September 17, 2012. I was asked what we were doing and honestly, I don’t think Joe has any tricks up his sleeve. I really don’t get that feeling. We shall see, maybe it will be a relaxing weekend at home and I’m ok with that, too! Back to the Quinoa Italian Bites, these little babies really stayed together when being baked. I was uber happy about this and think the 2 eggs in the recipe really helped with that…
These Quinoa Italian Bites were supposed to taste like pizza but overall just reminded Joe and me of a mini Italian meatball. These would be perfect for taking to a party and putting a toothpick in them. They were perfect alongside some grilled veggies and a salad. They would be perfect when you have 30 minutes and need to make something stay like I did before running out the door to take Luna (our rescue pup) to the bentleigh vet. That’s all these little diddies took – 30 minutes.
Quinoa Italian Bites
Serving size: 12 mini bites
- 1 cup red quinoa, cooked
- 2 Tbsp chopped scallions (white and light green parts only)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal (if you don’t have on hand, use another 1/4 cup bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup parmesan reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp fresh julienned basil (could use dry but reduce to 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder & oregano
- tomato sauce, parmesan cheese – as toppings
- In medium bowl, mix together all ingredients except tomato sauce and parmesan cheese topping.
- Grease 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and preheat oven to 35oF.
- With melon scooper, create 12 mini bites and place in greased tin.
- Bake 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.